Time & Location
Dec 24, 2022, 2:00 PM – Dec 25, 2022, 8:00 PM
Berkeley, 1 Seawall Dr, Berkeley, CA 94710, USA
About the event
Bring a plate to share and a gift ($20 or less) if you'd like to participate!
Kids and kids at heart welcome!
Rules for White Elephant Gift Event (as published by Latitude 38)
1) Each participant brings one or more wrapped gifts, with a maximum retail price or market value as specified by the event organizer. All gifts are added to the “pile.” It’s desirable to have a few more gifts than the number of participants.
2) Participants are assigned a turn number at random. This can be done by drawing playing cards from a shuffled deck. Low numbers go first, ties broken by higher-ranked suits. (Conventional suit priority is Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, i.e. reverse alphabetical.)
3) Each participant, on their turn, chooses a wrapped gift from the pile or “swipes” a gift from someone who has already chosen and unwrapped a gift.
4) Wrapped gifts must be unwrapped immediately after being chosen and displayed in view throughout play.
5) When a gift is swiped, the person from whom it is swiped gets another turn at that time. They can choose another wrapped gift from the pile or swipe an opened gift from another participant.
6) A person whose gift is swiped cannot swipe it back. This is the “no reversals” rule.
7) After a gift has been swiped two times, it cannot be swiped again. This is the “freeze after two swipes” rule.
8) When there are more gifts than participants, the turn order begins again with the lowest number. This mitigates the disadvantage of drawing a low number in the game; The participants with early turns and fewer choices get an extra turn.
9) Protests and Requests for Redress shall be in accordance with Part 5 of the Racing Rules of Sailing, as published by World Sailing, www.sailing.org