Dear Members of the Berkeley Yacht Club,
I hope this letter finds you all in good spirits and health. As Commodore, I am excited to update you on recent developments that promise to improve our beloved club.
First, the successful cruise-out to Clipper Cove and the Lipton Cup. The camaraderie and passion displayed by all those who participated truly encapsulate the spirit of our club. I extend my heartfelt appreciation to everyone involved, and I look forward to even more adventures in the coming months.
We welcomed several new member applicants during our recent Board Meeting on June 21. Each of these individuals brings a unique perspective and shared passion for sailing that resonates with our ethos:
- Nikita Saini and Breanne Gery are public defenders who fell in love with sailing during the Covid-19 pandemic. They have already shown great interest in participating in club activities and becoming part of our community.
- Alex Kang, a seasoned sailor with a double-handed journey from Tahiti to Chile under his belt, is the proud new owner of David Hamilton’s Get Smart on O-dock. Alex brings board experience and is eager to volunteer in our club.
- Paul Hollenbeck, a sailor with Caribbean experience and the proud owner of Bob Gray’s former boat, Coquelicot, is also on O-dock and is keen to give back to our community and begin racing.
- Craig Aufenkamp and Stacy Cronin, who started sailing together seven years ago and own the Catalina 30 Salty Lady II, also berthed on O-dock. Craig offers his finance, IT, and chair-stacking skills.
- Tristan Papillion, a 13-year-old who recently completed sailing camp at Cal Sailing.
We look forward to these new members' contributions to our club.
We have been working on enhancing the membership application process to make it more inclusive and ensure it contributes to the quality of our club. Instead of an initiation fee, we've introduced an application fee equal to two times the regular monthly membership dues. New applicants are now asked to attend two club events and volunteer at one of these events during their application phase. Sponsors are also asked to provide a more detailed account of their relationship with the applicant and why they believe the applicant will make a valuable addition to the Berkeley Yacht Club. For more information, please visit berkeleyyc.org/join.
In other news, we have overhauled our rental rates structure for simplicity and to prioritize the benefit to the club membership. Treasurer Evan McDonald has been instrumental in this process, and we anticipate this change will improve our club's operations and services to the membership.
As always, your support and participation make the Berkeley Yacht Club a vibrant community. Let's continue to nurture our club's enjoyable and welcoming atmosphere for everyone who shares our love for sailing.
Thank you for your continued support.
Commodore, Berkeley Yacht Club