Updated: Oct 30
The Berkeley Yacht Club has House Rules in place to ensure all members understand the processes and procedures that keep the Club running smoothly.
In May, the Board formed a Rules Committee to review the Rules to ensure they were up to date with current processes. The Rules Committee identified several rules that should be reviewed and updated. The Committee started a series of Town Halls, beginning with the Officer of the Day program, to gather input from the membership. We discussed a Code of Conduct on October 29th..
There are other Rules that simply need updating to reflect our current procedure. Specifically, the Rules do not reflect our current membership dues billing process, our current
bar payment process (no more charging onto a member account), and the recent Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) legislation. These 'cleanup' changes were reviewed and voted on at our October Board meeting. They will be approved as drafted at the November Board meeting.
II. DUES AND CHARGES
A. Membership Dues are due the first of each month. Initiation fees, event fees, and other charges are due when billed.
B. An invoice is emailed by the 25th of each month. A $20 late fee is charged if payments are received after the 15th of the month.
C. Members with balances outstanding greater than 60 days are reported to the Board of Directors and considered ‘delinquent’. Key cards of delinquent members are automatically deactivated.
D. Delinquent members are subject to disciplinary action up to and including expulsion.
G. Bar and Bar Area:
1. Only Regular, Associate and Youth Members (21 years of age or over) or hired bartenders are permitted behind the bar. Guests, Junior Members and Adjunct Members are not permitted behind the bar.
2. If no bartender is on duty, members may serve alcoholic beverages to themselves and others as long as:
They have a current Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) certification from the California Department of Alcohol and Beverage Control (ABC), have provided a copy of their current certification to the Club Manager, and have an RBS sticker on their name tag; and
They are wearing an official Berkeley Yacht Club name badge as issued to them by Berkeley Yacht Club with an RBS sticker affixed.
3. Except for renters and participants in approved events, drinks will be served only to members, their bona fide guests and members of other yacht clubs with reciprocal privileges who are wearing an official Berkeley Yacht Club name badge or guest sticker.
4. No alcoholic beverages shall only be served or consumed in the club during Club Hours.
5. No alcoholic beverages shall be served to anyone under the age of 21. Identification shall be shown upon request to ensure that persons buying or consuming alcoholic beverages are of age.
6. No alcoholic beverages shall be served to anyone who appears to be intoxicated as defined in the RBS training.
7. Bartenders and Members have the right to refuse the service of alcohol to anyone for any reason at any time.
8. No member is required to serve alcohol to any other member.
9. Source of Beverages:
a) Outside the Club: No alcoholic beverages from sources outside the club are to be served or consumed inside the clubhouse, except as provided in section III-G-8.
b) Inside the Club: No alcoholic beverages purchased in the club may be removed from the club.
10. Corkage: Except as otherwise specified in the Rental Policy, members may
bring unopened bottles of wines and champagnes, but not other beverages, into the club under the following conditions.
a) The bottle shall be taken immediately to the bar, where it will be
stored by the bartender until opened at the member’s request.
b) A corkage fee of $5.00 will be collected for each 750-ml. bottle or
c) A sticker will be affixed to the bottle and signed by a club officer, club
staff person, Officer-of-the-Day, or person on duty behind the bar.
d) Partially consumed and re-corked bottles of wine and champagne brought into the club under the corkage policy may be removed from the club.
11. Members shall clean tables before leaving. Members shall wash glasses if no bartender is on duty.